Happy Holidays! We’d love to have your float featured in the 2019 Bernardsville Holiday Parade. Downtown Bernardsville is accepting applications with final entries due no later than November 30th.
The application below is for the parade float category. A parade float (unit) is a highly decorated and illuminated exhibit or scene mounted on a mobile platform or trailer and pulled or driven in the parade. Each creative float will be judged based on creativity, use of festive lighting, and response to the parade’s theme:
I Love Bernardsville!
- Fill out the parade form and complete the proper payments.
- Applications MUST be completed in full and MUST be submitted no later than November 30th, 2019 with any required fees, either by check (“Bernardsville Special Events”) or cash (PO Box 887, Bernardsville NJ 07924).
- Payments can be made online here.
- Entries must read the parade unit terms and conditions (listed below) and agree to them.
- Due to LIMITED entries, all applicants will be considered in order of their completion using this website, which will be time and date stamped electronically.
- Illuminations/lights MUST BE USED to decorate all participant’s entries.
- A unit is deemed commercial if the entry is sponsored by, represents or promotes a commercial venture or other for-profit entity.
- School group: No charge
- Non Profit: $60
- For Profit/Business/Commercial: $150
- Resident/Neighborhood: $100
- Fees for parade entry cover costs of the event including, but not limited to, police presence and road closures, marketing and promotions, insurance, and permits. All proceeds benefit Downtown Bernardsville, a non profit organization devoted to revitalization efforts in Bernardsville. For more visit, DowntownBernardsville.com/Mission
- Please note: The Bernardsville Holiday Parade committee has adopted “The Santa Claus” CLAUSE. This clause PROHIBITS any other float participant or entry to use a live form of Santa Claus. Only one Santa Claus will be provided, presented and established by Downtown Bernardsville in conjunction with the Bernardsville Fire Department, for the entire parade. Cut outs, lighted displays, or other stationary versions of Santa Claus will be permitted.
Parade Participant and Unit Rules & Regulations
- Participants apply and must be approved to participate. No unit will be accepted into the parade on parade day.
- Entry applications must be received by December 1, 2019.
- ENTRY APPEARANCE: All units must appear in full uniform or costume. Staff or assistants accompanying staff must be properly attired. PLEASE NO strollers (wagons for band supplies only).
- No additions to the unit are allowed, such as vehicles, people, etc., without prior application and written approval by parade officials, by the deadline.
- Distribution of gifts, merchandise, literature or other materials along the parade route is prohibited without prior approval.
- No Advocating, opposing or depicting of any political, religious or social issues.
- No spraying of water or other liquids from units.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs by participants prior to and during the parade is prohibited.
- School teams & affiliated organizations must be entered separately and through their school to participate in the parade.
- No more than 10 representatives for each business/organization.
- No more than 20 representatives for civic organizations. These representatives must wear some sort of representative attire and come equipped with a banner so they look cohesive.
- All entries are required to maintain a continuous forward motion during the parade. Stopping for performances will be provided in the parade plan to all participating units prior to the event.
- At the end of the parade continue marching to the organized location at Bernards High School. DO NOT DISPERSE YOUR GROUP prior to arriving at the school. If your float or display is entered in the competition, line up your unit in the set location provided at Bernards High School.
Participant age Restriction:
- Participants must be at least 8 years old or older.
- There must be at least one adult escort for every 8 children under the age of 13 years.
- Each participant is expected to walk the entire parade route and keep pace with the movement of the parade.
Only a significant act of nature will cancel the parade. If for some unforeseen reason your unit is not able to participate in the parade after being accepted, you must contact the parade staff.
- Floats may not exceed 25 feet in length (including tow vehicle), 12 feet in height and 8 feet wide.
- Float entries must follow the “Parade Float Guidelines” that will be mailed following acceptance into the parade.
- All vehicles must be properly insured and drivers must have proper drivers license.
- No blowing of sirens or vehicle horns in the parade. This pertains to all fire companies, fire trucks and any other vehicles. This is a safety precaution in case of an emergency. If sirens are blowing, real emergency vehicle sirens cannot be heard, confusing spectators and parade participants. This is a safety hazard.
- No person or articles hanging over the sides of float or vehicle.
- If a vehicle is needed to represent a for profit business, one vehicle per business will be allowed and must be clean.
- Any vehicle larger than a dump truck should not be brought to the parade. The parade route is very tight, making navigation hazardous for large vehicles.
- All drivers for parade vehicles must remain with their vehicle upon entering. If a driver is not with the vehicle, that vehicle will not be permitted to line up.
- Check in with our Parade Marshal, no later than 5:00pm.
- Parking is not permitted with admission.
DOWNTOWN BERNARDSVILLE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY VEHICLE, FLOAT, OR ORGANIZATION FROM THE PARADE LINEUP, AT ANY TIME, FOR ANY REASON.
Parades are to be fun, entertaining and safe for all participants and spectators. Enjoy!